Terms and Conditions
1. You may enter up to four photographs by going to this link. The photographs must be of butterflies found in Yorkshire, a full list is given here. The photographs do not have to have been taken in Yorkshire. The content of the image should be considered as they are primarily to be used in a publication to help identify the species in the field as part of the new edition of the Pocket Guide to The Butterflies of Yorkshire.
2. The competition is open to any member of the Yorkshire branch of Butterfly Conservation. Submissions must be received by midnight on 31st October 2020. Winners will be notified in November.
A number of the winning photographs will feature in the new edition of the Pocket Guide to The Butterflies of Yorkshire.
3. Images must be digital in .jpg format, with a file size greater than 2MB but less than 8MB and at least 1600 pixels on the shortest edge. Each photo must be a high-resolution image (preferably 300 dpi). If you are not sure how large your image is, then check its properties on your computer or get in touch with us. Entrants may be asked to supply the original photo should they make it to the shortlisted round. The competition organisers and judges reserve the right to exclude any image that does not meet these requirements. The editor of the Pocket Guide to The Butterflies of Yorkshire reserves the right to use images not entered into the competition if they feel there are more suitable ones available to represent that species.
4. Each image file must be labelled with your name and the species portrayed. For example, the file name might be “Butterfly/Moth name followed by your name” e.g. “Small Copper_AN Other.jpg”.
5. All photographs should accurately reflect the subject matter and the scene as it appeared. Photos that have been digitally altered beyond standard optimization will not be considered. Acceptable are adjustments to colour, contrast, brightness and sharpness; removal of dust and scratches; cropping; black and white conversions. The competition organisers and the judges reserve the right to exclude any image they believe may have been excessively treated so as to alter its authenticity. Photographs should also be free of any credits/watermarks.
6. Photographers shall retain the copyright of any entered photos.
7. Your entry into this photography competition constitutes your agreement to grant the Yorkshire branch of Butterfly Conservation a non-exclusive, worldwide, irrevocable, royalty-free license to reproduce, distribute, and publicly display the photographs you submit to the Yorkshire branch of Butterfly Conservation, for use in any Yorkshire branch of Butterfly Conservation publication or webpage related to the Photographic Competition, and to be used in Yorkshire branch of Butterfly Conservation promotions, including, but not limited to, advertising future photographic competitions, publications from Yorkshire branch of Butterfly Conservation or other organisations, exhibitions, future marketing materials and campaigns, webpages, email bulletins. We will endeavour to ensure that your images are always duly credited but are unable to take responsibility should your name be omitted.
8. All entries must be the original work of the entrant, and must not infringe on the rights of any other party. The entrant must be the sole copyright in all photographs entered.
9. By entering this competition, entrants will be deemed to have agreed to be bound by these Terms and Conditions and the competition organisers reserve the right to exclude any entry from the competition at any time and in its absolute discretion if the organisers have reason to believe that an entrant has breached these rules.
10. A list of winners will appear on the website with their photographs. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into beyond acknowledgement of receipt.