Wharram Quarry YWT
Recorders: Victoria Shone + Martin Philips Distance: 832m Walk Time: 45 mins
The site was actively quarried for chalk between 1919 and the 1940s and was offered to Yorkshire Wildlife Trust in the 1960s by owner Lord Middleton after he noticed bee orchids growing on the quarry floor. A species rich chalk grassland, Wharram Quarry is home to many of the characteristic flowering plants that thrive on the thin Wolds soil. Plants include Colt's foot; Cowslip Thistle broomrape; Wooly thistle; Pyramidal orchid Autumn gentian; Quaking Grass and Carline thistle and Birds foot trefoil is abundant.
The sections are fairly similar but of different lengths apart from S10 and S11 which are in more shady rough pasture and was not originally part of the quarry but is under restoration. Dingy Skipper are favouring near the scrape area of S3-S4